Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Yesterday's Re-zoning Meeting

To update everyone as to yesterday’s events:

The City’s planning board voted unanimously to approve the Bay Shore Boyz rezoning request. One person spoke against the rezoning and several people spoke supporting the rezoning. I spoke as the Chairman of the Sanders Beach Community Association relaying the feedback I received from each of you that supplied it to me. I reported your input which was basically a split of about 50/50 with several people reporting to me to be neutral. I then spoke as the property owner directly across the street from the property, separating my representation of the neighborhood from my personal opinion. My decision came down to some simple facts about the property and how it would affect my property. R-2B was custom tailored and invented specifically for Sanders Beach South of Sonia Street between “I” street and the property formally know as “Pelican Bay Apartments” (refer to the Sanders Beach Waterfront Study on the City’s web site for more information). Obviously this property falls within this area and would surely, in the long run, be granted the R-2B zoning. The fact that the proposed zoning also had provisions for a 50 foot “Conservation” area on the east end of the property directly in front of my house insuring no structure will be built in front of me was very attractive. I also thought of R-2B not being granted and the property being developed as is R-1A. The result of R-1A development would be 35’ high structures directly across the street from me. So Conservation looked very attractive and as the property owner across the street I voted in favor of the zoning. Please also know that with the conservation area in place the property due east, owned by Dr. Ferretti, can not be rezoned R-2B unless all properties eastward starting at the east end of the R-2B zone, then consecutively rezoned westward until reaching Dr. Ferretti’s property are rezoned. This is a highly unlikely scenario effectively blocking R-2B from moving eastward.

I thought I owed everyone an explanation of my personal vote vs. my representation of the neighborhood.

You will still have a chance to give me your input at the neighborhood meeting next week and at the City Counsel meetings that will follow this decision.

Highest Regards,
Blake Jochum

SBCA-Chair